How to Become a Roxboro Police Officer
Anyone interested in a career with the Roxboro Police Department must complete a City of Roxboro Employment Application and the Law Enforcement F-3 Form for Police. Applications are processed by the Human Resources Department and should be mailed or delivered to the address below:
City of Roxboro Human Resources
P.O. Box 128
105 S. Lamar Street
Roxboro, NC 27573
Processing of police applications takes approximately three to five months. Requirements and procedures have been established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and the Roxboro Police Department.
The following is a general progression of the application process and will indicate where a candidate is in the hiring process:
- Submit a City of Roxboro application for employment with all supplements. A North Carolina Training and Standards Personal History Statement (F3) is required as part of the initial application process;
- Pre-screening of applications for disqualifying offenses or conduct;
- Phone Interview.
- Selected applicants proceed to oral board phase;
- Oral board and panel interview;
- Entry level written and physical agility testing will be conducted;
- Comprehensive Background Investigation;
- Extension of conditional offer for qualified applicants and
- Physical examination, psychological fitness testing and drug screening.
Training & Experience
All applicants must be a high school graduate or have successfully completed a General Education Development (GED) program; however, applicants with advanced degrees are highly desired.
Preference is given to applicants who possess a valid law enforcement certification from the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or enrolled in a North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) course in order to be considered for employment.
The city offers a paid trainee program to attend a local BLET for non-certified applicants. The city only offers this opportunity to one applicant at a time and selection is based on highly qualified, competent applicants who have successfully completed every phase of the hiring process. Selected applicants for trainee must meet additional employment requirements.
All officers must live within a thirty (30) mile radius of the contiguous city limits of Roxboro. Applicants who do not live within the thirty-mile limit will have one year from the date of hire to move within the limit.
- $35,482 - No prior experience or degree
- $37,256 - Three years' prior NC Sworn Law Enforcement experience
Additions to Salaries
- Automatic salary increase after successfully completing one year of probationary employment with the City of Roxboro.
- Automatic starting salary increase for certified officers with (3) or more years of experience. Eligible officers for do not receive an additional salary increase after successfully completing probationary employment with the City of Roxboro.
- Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) as approved by City Council annually on July 1.
- Annual Merit Increases
- Take home patrol car (per take home car policy)
- Paid on duty physical fitness (inside the department's on site workout facility)
- Paid training
- Paid overtime or compensatory time
- Paid vacation/sick leave
- 12 annual paid holidays
- Education assistance ($400/Semester or $800/yr)
- Worker’s compensation
- 401K employer contribution
- Employer retirement contribution
- City paid medical and vision insurance for employee
- Paid life insurance ($15,000 while employed with the City)
- Optional benefits paid by employee through Colonial
- Longevity pay in November based on tenure with the City.
City of Roxboro: An Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Roxboro is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive benefits and salaries. Selections for employment will be made on the basis of applicants' qualifications for the job. All employees will be treated equitably in regard to compensation, training, and promotional opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or age. Persons with disabilities will be given equal consideration in all matters involving employment to the extent their disabilities do not prevent them from performing the essential functions of their position. The City of Roxboro will reasonably accommodate any employee to the degree it does not compromise their safety and health or the safety and health of others.